Finally Found the Exact Location of the Puchalski Farm

During my trip to Warren, Ohio, I spent a great deal of time searching for my Grandfather's farm in Southington where my Great Grandfather, George was murdered in 1920. I visited the Trumbull County Library where a couple of very helpful ladies in the Genealogy section located a census from 1920 showing the Puchalski family lived near a road called, Herner County Line Road. A road that runs around 8 miles in length. I took a drive and looked around, knowing my ancestor's farm was somewhere nearby. 

My next stop was a visit to the Warren Historical Society. I gave them a copy of my book and told them my story. They were so intrigued by the story they went to work immediately, researching the history and trying to help me locate the farm.

I visited the Trumbull County Records department and began finding records that led me to locating the deed to the property. There was no address on the deed, but there was a detailed legal description of the property along with names of prior owners and the name the of the person my Great Grandparents bought the farm from. I learned the lot number was lot number 43 and the farm was 98.5 acres in size. I still couldn't figure out where exactly the farm was located, but I was closing in. I knew I needed one more piece to the puzzle.

That piece came in the form of a plat map for Southington, Ohio dated 1899. When I found lot 43 on the plat map, the area matched the legal description perfectly. The legal description mentioned a W.B. McConnell as the owner and a B.D. Helsley to the North and D. Chalker to the East. Sure enough there was an area on lot 43 owned by McConnell that was 98.5 acres with Helsley to the North and Chalker to the East. Everthing matched perfectly. I found it! Unfortunately I found it after I returned from my trip to Ohio, back to California. 

Thank goodness for Google Maps. I used Google Earth to zoom in on the property and overlay the Google Map over the 1899 plat map to match roads in the area. Fit like a glove. I then zoomed down to street level to view the property from the street. Not as good as actually being there but very eye-opening. I was able to find a farmhouse that looked very old. I captured the address off the mailbox in the image and looked it up. The house was built in 1930. So I'm wondering if the original farmhouse where the murder took place was torn down after the property sold in 1921 and replaced with this house.

I plan on returning to Warren in the near future to visit the property and knock on doors. I would love to offer the owners a copy of my book in exchange for allowing me to walk the property, take photos and video and interview them to see if they know the history of the property as detailed in my book, Heart of Steel.

I will update you all when I make that trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Search for the Grave Site of George Puchalski